Number 3 (16) 2009
Interview of the Governor of the Primorskiy territory, Serguey Darkin, to the «Fishnews» magazine on the IV International Fishery Congress
- This September in Vladivostok there will be opened the Fourth International Fishery Congress. This year it will be distinguished from previous ones by the level of themes to be discussed there, as the issues obtain more and more global character, pertaining to even the international level. Even the number of foreign guests of the Congress testifies its international status –we expect more than 100 foreign delegates this year to Vladivostok.
- This year the participants of the Congress will discuss a number of issues related to the strategy of sustainable fishery and maintaining the stability of the fish products’ market. During the round table discussions there will be discussed various issues of vital interest for fishermen, among them the issues of fisheries’ certification, trade with fish, fisheries’ management and some other important issues.
- As for the results of previous congresses – we can see that many proposals pronounced at them were fulfilled and were transformed into real documents and normative for the benefit of fishermen: first of all the main law, «Law on fishing and preservation of marine living resources» was adopted. There were taken measures to ban the catching of the King-crab, there was prohibited the exportation of non-processed crabs. Strong measures are undertaken to prevent the IUU fishery, there was established by law the norm to deliver all the fish caught to the Russian shore. There were introduced changes into the Tax legislation: fishery organizations can pay the tax as a unique agricultural tax, there were reduced the rates for the use of biological resources, fishermen are exempted from paying taxes while returning after the ship repair abroad. For the first time ever the fishermen were granted a right to use a share of quotas for 10 years.
- It’s possible to say – the State started to invest funds into the fishery. The Government of RF adopted the Federal program of the fishery industry complex development with a substantial (62 billion of Rubles) support. For national and foreign investors there is opened wide a favorable field of activities. Sure, there must take place the change of priorities, from supporting the IUU fishery to the civilized market and the use of new ideas, technologies and innovative projects.
«Natsrybresursy»: in the beginning of the new way
Oleg Mironov, the General Director of the Federal State enterprise, «Natsrybresursy» tells the «Fishnews» magazine about the objectives and activities of the company.
- First I’d like to inform you about the fact the «Rosrybflot» company was renamed to «Natsrybflot» joint stock company. It would include 27 vessels built under the guarantees of the RF Government. Our task now is to prepare the issues of basing the vessels, their repair, supply and provision, crew changes, products transportation, etc. So, we are speaking now only about the stage of formation of a stable, highly competitive company capable to create preconditions to consolidate the national fishery industry. An the most worthwhile fishing ground for us there will be the Southern part of the Pacific. Until now the fishery in the area isn’t regulated by international organizations out of the 200-miless EEZ’s, however the situation can be changed there even next year. I hope we shouldn’t be waiting for more than year to organize there the first expedition.
- Another worthwhile project for us now is the establishment of the «Ocean Resources Company International» (ORCI), recently registered in Seattle, which is related to the revival of important traditions and relations existed even in the Soviet era (i.e. «Sovkomflot»). To-day we’d like to do something like that, moreover those US specialists to work in the ORCI used to be working in the former Soviet-American project. This company would permit to us to get a certain access to the US, Canada, other Western markets with the possibilities to purchase sophisticated processing and fishery facilities, i.e. at Alaska.
- Due to the reorganization of fishery ports in Russia, moorages were transferred under the «Natsrybresursy» control. However, practically all of them are ridden with debts and lease contracts, many of them are deteriorated and in poor condition. In order to realize the Federal target program this year there was organized the contest to obtain a right of making the contract to develop technical documentation to reconstruct fishery terminals in Vladivostok, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Khasan, Nevelsk, Kaliningrad. On the basis of the project documents developed in 2010 it’s planned to start the reconstruction works there.
- There are some more plans I’d like to mention. I’m speaking about the plans to erect cold storage facilities in 19 regions of the Russian Federation. This program was presented to the first Vice-Prime-Minister, Viktor Zubkov, at the Collegial for fishery and it received his appraisal. The first stage of this program would the construction of cold storage facilities in the bay of Alexino, near Novorossiysk for it to become a full value and unique fishery port for Russian fishermen at the Black Sea. All the related documents have already been passed to the Rosselkhozbank.
To a certain extent the continuation of this program there will be the establishment of a transportation-logistics company. The Federal Fishery Agency has already revealed the investment project to create a joint stock company to transport, storage and trade with fish products. Banks, leasing companies, fishery ports, transporters, retailers’ nets, like «Okean» – will be involved in project.
Technologies of the future – at the production site
Well tested technological systems and verified technologies for the local market meant for processing the white fish and salmons are being proposed today by the daughter company of a world brand name, «MAREL Food Systems Russia». One of successful examples of implementing technological solutions by this company is the Murmansk base company limited «Suprimex», where a modern complex for cod processing was installed.
According to the general director of the «Suprimex» company, «our specialists in practice can evaluate the advantages of working with the machinery of XXI century».
The service engineer of the «MAREL Food Systems Russia», Vladislav Korneenko, tells more in details about the main features of the company’s products and services.
Development of processing is a natural stage of the industry’s evolution
Ruslan Telenkov, General Director of the «Magadanryba» company limited gave an interview to the Chief Editor of the Fishnews.ru Russian Information Agency on a wide variety of issues. Namely Mr. Telenkov told:
- The introduction of the new regulation to deliver all the fish to the Russian shore gave neither effect, except for the increase of Customs payments. The bulk of fishing products is still being delivered to Korea, because they process a fishing vessel with cargo very fast, but in Russia it’s impossible because of clumsy regulation and a lot of bureaucracy. In order for Russian fishermen to deliver their fish to Vladivostok rather than to Pusan, there must be created conditions for the business better than in Korea.
- The preferences for fishermen are still only being declared, neither mechanism promised, like leasing, low interest credits, – isn’t functioning. It was said: Rosselkhozbank would offer credits for fishermen – sure they offer, at 20% annual. There haven’t been foreseen as yet any privileges, credits – these are only words. Sure, it’s necessary to supply the own people with fish, but why the fish should be cheap? As a matter of fact the deliveries of fish to the home market haven’t grown, as the purchase prices are still higher abroad.
- The Government of Russia sets a target to develop the raw fish processing, but the solution is quite simple. In order to stimulate the production in Russia, there aren’t needed any subsidies, there are needed so-called tax vacations. For example the profits tax should be not only reduced by 4%, but the processors should be exempted from the tax at al for some five years. Anyhow we feel some kind of a support – we obtained the quotas for 10 years, this is an impetus for the work. Regretfully the normal work is hindered by bureaucratic obstacles of our system.
- The Head of the Rosrybolovstvo, Andrey Krainiy hinted that within the following three years the export dues for the raw fish would be steadily growing, but we started long ago to get prepared for. I’ve planned the modernization of the fleet to produce fillets, then to supply them to Russia and to Europe.
- The problem of new vessels construction was discussed at the working conference by Mr. Krainiy, where he informed us about the decision of the Russian Government to build fishery vessels in series and then give them in leasing to fishermen. In this case the cost of a vessel should be much lower. But except for making the fishery fleet younger we need also a highly technological production.
- I’d like to highlight, that the fishermen problems find the understanding at the Federal Fishery Agency and we mustn’t be in any kind of opposition to the Government, let alone the Rosrybolovstvo.
- The role of public organizations and fishermen unions is very important. This is a chief instrument in construing the dialogue between business and the power. Specifically the VARPE and the Pollack Association are working.
Golden Fish of Lipetsk
As of late the Federal Fishery Agency started a large scale company all over Russia to promote the homemade fish and sea products. One of companies to adhere to this policy is «LipetskRyba» in the Russian city of Lipetsk. General director of the «LipetskRyba» Alexander Pavlov tells about the company.
In September of 2006 there was bought an obsolete factory and there was started the modernization, a well-known Austrian company SCHALLER LEBENSMITTELTECHNIK® (SLT) was chosen as a main supplier of modern equipment and machinery. Soon the factory was equipped by various installations by European producers: Weber, Fomaco, Pisces, Bizerba, Schaller Thermostar, packaging equipment and many others. By the way the company possesses an own retail net «Pokupaika», the trade halls of which have been recently equipped with suspended scales by Bizerba, especially to trade with fish.
The company is continuing its revival process, anyhow the turnover as of late grew up to 20 million Rubles a month, the assortment accounts to quite 300 items. The company has own brands, the most well-known is «Russkiy Nevod (Russian Seine)», under which delicacies are being produced, like salted and cold-smoked Atlantic charr, brown trout, halibut, etc. Another brand is «Petrovskoye Zastolie (Peter’s Banquet)», under which products of economy and low prices are sold.
The company has a lot of plans for the future: soon a meat processing shop will be commissioned at the factory. «As a matter of fact the bulk of the profit the company is investing into the development of the production and trade facilities», states the general director of the «LipetskRyba», Alexander Pavlov.
«Fishering Service» in Iceland
While local fishermen are looking for fishing gears abroad, Icelandic fishery companies have made a right choice: they order fishing gears form Kaliningrad based company «Fishering Service». Recently the «Fishering Service» representatives returned from Iceland where the modernized trawl «SuperShkwal» was supplied. The director of the company, Andrey Fyodorov tells about the trip to Iceland and the company’s further plans.
The skipper of the fishing vessel «Margret ЕА-710» belonging to the «Samheri HV» company, Arngrimur Brinjolafsson started to work with the «SuperShkwal» on June 26, 2009. The result has exceeded all the expectations: within three days, on June 26-28, the total catching output amounted to more than 1,600 tons of Horse macherel. Catching of vessels working next to him turned out 2-5 times as less.
After return to the port the «Samheri» authorities proposed to Russians to organize ashore service for the trawls repair and maintenance, as the majority of Iceland captains wanted to change their fishing gear for Russian trawls. As of today there have been terminated the negotiations to supply our trawls and sacks of 700 and 1,000 tons capacity for more four Icelandic companies having vessels of 3,300-7,000 HP, as well as to organize our ashore service base in Iceland.
Automatic line to process sea-weeds and to produce sea-weeds salads
Sea-weeds are environmentally clean products but are hard to be processed. Danish company Cabinplant A/S introduced a number of modifications especially to meet the requirements of Russian sea-weeds processors. So the technological line should meet the following objectives: to guarantee the full cleaning of the raw material, to wash out the sand and other non-edible substances, to ensure the quality and equal boiling and cooling. This line has been recently tested at one of Russian processing enterprises.
The line begins with an automated preparation system of dried-up either frozen raw-material in 800-liters plastic containers. After sea-weeds are soaked and restored an automatic distributor directs the product to the blanching- cooling system model Cabinplant BC. This system is a specially designed device in the form of tunnel with a band conveyer inside to transport the product during the technological process. Normally the boiling time is 45-50 minutes at a temperature of 95 Centigrades. After the boiling the product is directed to the cooling area where it is sprinkled with icy water. After boiling and cooling the product is ready to be marinated. Also the marinated sea-weeds are combined with various products like carrot, onion, either sea products, like shrimps, mussels, pieces of squid, etc.
Generally sea-weeds salads are being packed in plastic jars of 200 to 470 grams, either in big plastic containers up to 5 kilos, meant for catering organizations.
Taking into account the real needs and the machinery and equipment available at the customer’s facility the Cabinplant may produce certain elements of the production line and to integrate them into the existing technological line.
MARPORT: being in step with life
Oleg Biryuk, the regional representative of the MARPORT company, the general director of the «Kompaniya Morskaya Elektronika (Marine Electronic Company)» tells.
MARPORT company is a well-known producer of cable-less systems of the trawl controls. Within the last year the company produced something new, first of all the multifunctional plate indicators. Second is the system of geometry. Third is the new software. Now the navigating officer can see the function of plates and the system of geometry not only at panels, but in the 3D vision in the real time regime.
Besides, the price policy remained unchanged. Thus the price of a set to include the onboard PC of 21-inch screen with the specific software, with the newest receiver MBAR-II, the bottom hydrophone, trawl fathometer «Trawl Explorer», the set of plates’ indicators and the geometry indicator would amount to Euro 70 thousand, delivery and customs formalities not included. A new ship fathometer is on sale.
As you can see the MARPORT is not at idle, it continues to develop and to produce new sophisticated rather economic tools for fishermen. Ship-owners should be interested.
Ship’s heart under reliable protection
It’s well known that power and effectiveness of a ship diesel function to a great extent is determined by the quality of the fuel and how is organized its processing and preparation onboard the ship. However, in order to minimize the costs for fuel, ship-owners often use cheaper but low quality fuel. Motor oils permit to endure such a load.
Director of the Ptimorye based «Rid Oil Group» company limited, Vladimir Gustyakov tells about the company and products and services offered.
- Our company is specialized with home made oils and I can assure of their high quality, let alone their relatively low price, as compared to foreign ones. Even with the account of costs for the transportation the cost of the local oil turns out quite two times as less.
- I’d like to mention that the transportation of the products is an important issue of the “Rid Oil Group” company. The direct cooperation with the producer of the oil, «ROSNEFT» joint stock company permits to us to maximum reduce the costs for transportation.
«Rid Oil Group» company proposes to all its clients to purchase also on-board laboratories for the oil analyses and will be supplying them with all necessary chemical reagents.
«Fishy Day» is ready for the meeting with fishermen
Siberians like fish. True lovers of fish consider Chiru to have the most tender flesh, other prefer Glayling, Taimen, Pike-perch, Arctic cisco. But those wise ones understand that all depends upon the way it’s prepared and the freshness of the raw materials. One of the experts in this field, director of the Novosibirsk based company «Fishy Day», Dmitriy Maximov tells.
- At present we produce some 1.5 thousand tons of products a year, all the time increasing the production output volume. Production shops of the company are equipped with the modern sophisticated machinery and equipment for processing, salting, smoking, cutting and packaging.
- The company is interested today to increase the production output out of high quality sea fish, which can be proposed by Far East fishermen, like Sockeye, Coho and Pink-salmon. Sure, cod species are also in need.
- In order to preserve the quality of raw materials the «Fishy Day» is going to arrange an own logistic chain to deliver the fish towards the processing facility. With this aim the company is going to establish representations in the Far Eastern ports to receive the fish for the transportation directly from the vessels.
Wastes – into profits
Only 30% of the catching result to become food products, the rest goes to wastes. So the problems arise with their utilization. The permitted method to utilize wastes ashore now is just burning, however it’s not a cheap way.
Technological companies are ready to propose modern methods to process fish wastes and transform the costs into profits.
Anton Sukhorukih, director for marketing and development of the «Technological Equipment» company tells about one of the methods, named «fermentolysis», when the wastes mass is processed by adding special ferments, transforming them into a harmless substance which can be discarded, either used to prepare feeds for animals.
Vitaliy Khanash, the regional representative of the «Alfa Laval» company tells about an alternative method to process wastes, which is a complex of processing the fish wastes into Surimi paste. The equipment and machinery for the purpose is working autonomously and can be installed both onboard the ship and ashore. Andrey Mandrea, head of the “Biotechnology” sector of the «GEA-Vestfalia Separator CIS» tells about in details.
Notwithstanding the difficulties in this field, the fishery industry isn’t standing idle, but is steadily developing – today the companies willing to work profitably in the fishery industry should optimize their costs in order to reduce their financial losses and expenditures and regard the variants which would permit to get an additional profit.
«Alfa Lavalle» protein production technologies
A stable growth in fish protein production is at present noted all over the world. «Alfa Lavalle» company proposes a highly effective equipment and modern technologies for the production of food and feed proteins out of fish and sea species. Production technology is based on the processes of accurate heating up and then extracting (separating) the protein. For heating and boiling processes there can be optimally used the heating boiler «Conterm» by the «Alfa Lavalle». Thanks to its construction it is 5-6 times as much effective as the traditional boilers. The technological cycle of the protein production includes the processes of separation of hard substances (the remnants of the raw material) and the liquids (protein bullion and the fish oil), done at the centrifuges. For non-stop production of the Surimi paste there has been developed a complex technological line named «Alfa Plus». Another technological line, «Condek» is meant for producing a high quality fish mill and fish oil. As a result, the fish mill produced out of the fresh fish is of extreme biologic preciousness and easily digested.
NIKO: simple formula of fuel costs
NIKO oil-supplying company offers to its clients a wide variety of services from buying any kind of oil products to their delivery by any transport to any point in the Far East, the commercial director of the NIKO, Peter Gusev tells.
- In the fuel supplying scheme we accomplish the transshipment of fuels at our own oil-base and then deliver it to consumers. In the autumn-winter season we are mainly oriented to supply fishing vessels in the Okhotsk sea zone.
- The guarantee of our fuel high quality is the cooperation with largest oil producers and their daughter companies in the Far East, like «Rosneft» («RN-Vostoknefteproduct»), «Gazpromneft», «Khabarovsknefteproduct», «Alians», «Transbunker», etc. The commissioning in August last year two more reservoirs at our oil-base of the total capacity 11 thousand cubic meters would permit to us to keep at the base and to transship up to 30 thousand cubic meters of light fuel a month.
- As of today the company has a possibility to operate six tankers: «Sabina» (3,000 tons), «Ayaks» (1,000 tons), «Uliss» (1,500 tons), «Hermes» (4,500 tons), «Viktoria» (3,000) tons and “Patriot” (8,000 tons). The use of such a fleet permits for fishermen to organize their work non-stop at the fishing grounds, the economy and convenience is ensured by our bunkers on duty in the Aniva bay. We are also ready to propose our services any time in all the ports of the Primorsky: Nakhodka, Vostochnyi, Vladivostok, Slavyanka, Zarubino, Posiet.
- While working with fishery companies NIKO is ready to use various types of payment, including the possibility to accept as a payment the fish and fish products. For the purpose we have under our operative command two transport-refrigerators, «Alava» and «Zhanna-III». At present we are planning to increase the number of transport-refrigerators.
Let’s take to our… rods?
Today the support for the national fishery industry is proclaimed at all the levels of the State power. It is acknowledged to be a strategically important element of the economy and the guarantor of the alimentary security of the country. However a large scale and seemingly all-sided interference of the State into the fishery industry until now hasn’t brought any real positive results. The fishery fleet is getting more and more older, nobody builds any new processing factories, the World ocean fishery still remains the talking. Good intentions of the State run against bureaucratic reefs of the State itself and taxation is the main scourge for the fishermen.
The Tax Code of the Russian Federation, namely its Article 25.1, isn’t in time with the dynamically developed fishery industry – the talk is about the problems with paying the VAT for the leasing of fishing vessels with crews for the work outside the 12-miles zone.
Another one is the problem of taxation of foreign trade operations, Tax Code Articles 148 and 164-165.
And the third block of problems is related to the possibility of applying the 15% rate for the use of marine living resources (Tax Code Article 333.3).
As for the logic of legislators, the given privileges permit to a company to use the funds saved for the development: to build new vessels, to modernize the processing facilities, to build new ones, to use new fishing grounds. These are provident steps, aimed at increasing the tax returns in the long run. Alas, all the strategic plans run against the bureaucracy of officials, who strive to get the return right today. And that make all the State support a myth.
FOL: We are proud of our production!
«Fishing gears factory (Russian abbreviation FOL)» in Podyapolsk was established in 1995 and today the enterprise is producing a full spectrum of fishing gears and rope products for the fishery and fish farming needs. The production cycle started practically from zero: from polyethylene granules till the ready made fishing gears and spare parts for them, like cables, ropes, hawsers out of Capron, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polistil. There is also a shop to produce fishing gears, including various kinds of nets.
Authorities of the «FOL» have increased the capacity of the factory this year notwithstanding the crisis. And they did it right in time as the forcasts of tremendous approaches of Salmons this year to Kamchatka, Kurils and Sakhalin made the fishermen to start making orders for new and additional fishing gears even in February.
General director of the «FOL» joint stock company, Eugeniy Mazur tells:
- Last year we were using only imported materials, including the granules for extrusion, various threads. But starting from 2009 we transferred to the use of only home made raw materials, from national factories.
Face to face with a buyer
According to «Fishnews» correspondents, it’s possible to reduce the costs of packaging at the account of a complex of measures to diversify the production.
But the head of the packaging sector of the «Henkovac-Russia», Nikita Mitropolskiy, believes the more evident steps are to look for cheaper packaging materials and more sophisticated packaging equipment. Thus this year a new typr of vacuum-packing conveyer-type machine HENKOVAC BM860 will be released.
Another expert of the SCHALLER LEBENSMITTELTECHNIK® in this sector, the regional representative of the «SCHALLER-MOSKVA» company, Oleg Borichevskiy believes it’s quite possible with success to optimize the costs by introducing machinery of ingredients automatic dosage without involving additional labor force.
According to all the specialists the packaging is one of the best and cheap means of advertisement. But the best advertisement is the product itself, which can be chosen by the buyers’ eyes.
There are no dead ends for the fish products’ markets and it’s always possible to find an optimum solution how to attract the attention of customers. The really good product would always find its buyer, but the wisely chosen packaging would become only a good allurement.
Fish can be treated by binary ice
It’s hard to believe there is anybody among fishermen, who hasn’t heard about the Binary Ice (BI). The first samples of the equipment to produce this «miracle» were brought to Russia from Iceland.
Now the «Factory of ice (Russian abbreviation FBH)» has a big experience in this field. The General Director of the «FBH», Alexander Samoletov tells about the company and the product. The company first applied to scientists, the VNIRO, for scientific substantiation. The specialists of VNIRO (All-Russia scientific research institute of the fishery industry) accomplished researches on fatty species of fish (Coho, Sturgeon, Saury, Halibut, etc.) treating them with the BI. As a result it was confirmed that fish treated with the BI could be preserved for 20 days, i.e. 4 times as much as compared to common ice.
In 2003-2004 the first Russian-made BI-generator was proposed to fishermen and the equipment made in Russia turned out to be three times as less expensive, alongside with that it was simpler in use and of equal quality.
Russian fishery businessmen are very satisfied with the results of the BI-generator use, among them the director of Murmansk-based fish processing company «SeaFoodRus», Yuriy Ilyin, general director of the Sakhalin fishery and fish processing company «INMA», Yakov Sednev.
Without doubts all the advantages of the BI use will be estimated by the Russian market at its true worth.
Who earns during the crisis?
General Director of the «Fishnews» company limited , Yana Yashina presents her vision of the economic crisis and the advertisement aspects during the crisis.
- As a matter of fact the flow of negative information creates an illusion of a general disaster in all the sectors of economy. But it’s not true at least for the fishery industry. Look: the fishery businessmen obtained the 10-years shares to the quota, i.e. the guarantee to get a stable annual profit in the long run. The demand for fish products isn’t falling but is growing for a long list of items. Stabilization of fuel prices also contributes to the favorable situation in the fishery industry. T also worth mentioning the reduction of payment rates for the use of marine living resources. Fishery companies started to actively purchasing new equipment and machinery, even the lack of credits don’t stop them.
- Sure, certain companies depending heavily upon advertisement had to cut the ads’ budgets. But if we speak about clients of «Fishnews» – they earn much more with advertisement and they continue spending for the purpose, as they understand – they can return all the annual funds invested into advertisement in our mass-media means with just only one deal.
- I believe, that those continue to earn during the crisis, who is able to work, who can prove it and who can tell about his ability.
Under the wings of the fishery inspection…
On July 2 at the Ivankovskiy water reservoir of the Tverskiy region there were held the first tests of a complex of drones purchased by the Federal Fishery Agency for the needs of fishery monitoring and protection. This reservoir is not only supplying with water Moscow, but also is a rich fishing ground for Pike, Pike-perch, Bream, Catfish, Sterlet and many other fresh-water species. That’s why all the year round there is a lot of amateur fishermen, not all of them meeting the rules.
The complex consists of two drones and a ground command and control station with antenna set. The wingspan of a drone is less than a meter, but it is equipped with two video cameras and a photo camera, the data are transmitted on-line to the monitor of the ground station. The flight time of a drone is about 90 minutes and the covered area has a radius of 15 kilometers. The drone can perfectly work in Russian climate, from minus 30 to plus 50 Centigrades.
The head of the «Centerrybvod», Serguey Vorobyov tells: – Our main target is to determine the scale of influence of fishery over the water resources of the reservoir, as well as environmental and other kinds of monitoring.
The Federal Fishery Agency has the plans to equip with such drones all the regions of the country.
Fishy lessons of Tottori prefecture
In the beginning of July in Vladivostok there was officially opened the ferry-line between the capital of Primorye, Korean port Donghae and Japanese port Sakaiminato. The prefecture Tottori invested a lot of funds and efforts to open this line as it promises the reviving of foreign economic relations and huge profits.
The most developed sectors of the Tottori prefecture are traditionlle the agriculture and the fishery industry. Local authorities specially underline their interest to promote their products to the Russian market, and first of all fruits and fish products.
The port of Sakaiminato in 90-s for the five years in the row has been on the first place as for the volume of landed fish products, in 2008 the total volume of landed fish amounted to 107,212 tons (12th place in Japan).
In Sakaiminato the fish is not only caught but processed as well. The production is oriented mainly to the domestic market. But not only fish products are the local delicacies. One of the famous Tottori products is the pear named «XX century»
To get acquainted with the culture of other countries through the national cuisine is a very captivating process. Now, after the commissioning of the new ferry-line, Japan would be closer to us and Primorye citizens would be able to catch some «fishy habits» of our closest neighbors.